Wow! $113 from an old insurance company! Thanks! 😁
My friends and I have shared various online chats since 2001, but we didn't discover Slack wasn't until 2015. It's now a program I couldn't live without. Goofing off and sharing links throughout the day with each other is so easy, even as we're spread across the globe.
A while back, one of the Slack rooms lit when a buddy of mine found an old link on Reddit about free unclaimed money. The following conversation ensued:
We laughed and my buddy proceeded to call his dad to walk him through claiming his $113. It was only later that it struck me. If one of my good friends didn't know about this page on HIF detailing how to search for unclaimed money, then I bet a ton of readers who haven't been with HIF since Day 1 don't know about it either!
So I decided to dust off this old post and republish it in the hopes that more Hiffers could find some free cash!
Wait, Free Money? What's the Catch?
Long story short, there are a few websites where you can search your name for unclaimed money you're entitled to. This could be money from bank errors, back pay from past jobs or employers, money from stocks, or from a myriad of other ways for money to be owed to you.
If the government owes you money and you do not collect it, then it's unclaimed. This also applies to banks, credit unions, utilities, pensions, and stocks, and many other sources.
As you can see, my buddy found $100 for his dad from a tax rebate he was owed from the mid-90s. The most I've ever found for myself was an $8 check from Verizon. But hey, it was something!
Find Unclaimed Money
The easiest unclaimed money search form is MissingMoney.com. It searches multiple databases at once and is the only officially endorsed aggregate site by the NAUPA (National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators).
Simply enter your name and state and click “Go.” You should also search for any state you've previously lived, worked, or owned property in. If a match is found, you can complete a form that confirms your identity
However, as with most “one size fits all” solutions, it works for most people but not all people. The site doesn't work for citizens in CA, CT, DE, GA, HI, KS, OR, PA, WA, or WY. Similarly, even if you live in a participating state, it's no guarantee that MissingMoney.com has your info.
That's why your next stop should be this US Government official unclaimed money guide. They breakdown all of the individual sites you can search for unclaimed money.
While the government doesn't have a central website for locating unclaimed money, they do have specific areas to look based on where the money is coming from.
States' Unclaimed Money
- Search by State – Search your state's listing of unclaimed funds and property.
Unclaimed Back Wages
- Unpaid Wages – If you think you may be owed back wages from your employer, search the Wage and Hour Division's (WHD's) database of workers for whom it has money waiting to be claimed. WHD is a part of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).
- VA Life Insurance Funds – Search the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for unclaimed insurance funds that are owed to certain current or former policyholders or their beneficiaries. Note: This does not include funds from Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) or Veterans' Group Life Insurance (VGLI) policies from 1965 to the present.
- Pensions from Former Employers – Search for unclaimed pension money from companies that went out of business or ended a defined plan.
- Tax Refunds – The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may owe you money if your refund was unclaimed or undelivered.
Banking, Investments, and Currency
- Bank Failures – Search the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) for unclaimed funds from failed financial institutions.
- Credit Union Failures – Find unclaimed deposits from credit unions.
- SEC Claims Funds – The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) lists enforcement cases where a company or person owes investors money.
- FHA-Insurance Refunds – If you had an FHA-insured mortgage, you may be eligible for a refund from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). To search the HUD database, you will need your FHA case number (three digits, a dash, and the next six digits—for example, 051-456789).
- Foreign Claims – U.S. nationals can find money owed to them from foreign governments after loss of property.
Beware Unclaimed Money Scams
Finally, watch out fir people who pretend to be the government and offer to send you unclaimed money for a fee. These scammers use a variety of tricks to get your attention, but their goal is the same: to get you to send them money. Government agencies will not call you about unclaimed money or assets.
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides tips on how you can avoid government imposter scams.
Just remember: if somebody asks you to pay for “free” money, then it's not free!
With those tips, hopefully some Hiffers can find some free cash floating around out there. Get started at MissingMoney.com and good luck!
Here's a new opportunity to grab free U Beauty Resurfacing Compound. Simply add the freebie to your card and checkout, where there's no shipping whatsoever, and a 3-day sampler will arrive in a few weeks.
Judging from their logo, it's clear U Beauty completely missed the opportunity to name themselves after Tetris.1
After entering your email, you'll redirect to the “Get A Free Sample” page letting you claim free Rituals body cream. I was able to pick from Ritual of Sakura and Ritual of Karma.
Two different options, one confused Goob! (edit: you might be able to request both freebies! After claiming your first option, simply click the box for the second option and it should go through)
This freebie offer is run by SoPost, so we should receive our freebies within a few weeks. I love a company that takes their freebies seriously.0
Schlotzsky's Insider Rewards members get a free small classic sandwich simply for making a free account! You can signup online or via their iTunes and Google Play apps, then head to your local Schlotzsky's for your freebie.
Hopefully these sandwiches are a little easier on the mouth than Schlotzsky's.
It's baccccck! Through the end of today only (October 11), you can get a free 8×10 photo print at Walgreens with checkout code FREE8X10. As always, select in-store pickup and avoid any shipping fees, making this offer completely free.
Remember, this is a single 8×10 photo, not 8×10=80 free photos. Somebody actually once angrily emailed me because they felt I didn't spell the freebie out well enough. What am I, a freaking riddle master? I guess instead of saying this is available at Walgreens, I should have said “those things between ceilings and floors that are painted the fourth color of the rainbow.”104
For a limited time, get 400 free Kellogg's Family Rewards points by taking their short “snack shopping” quiz. I still proclaim eating snacks while taking snack quizzes should earn you bonus points, but Kellogg's continues to ignore my emails. Oh well, I guess it's just 400 free points and the rest of this beef jerky!
Protip: you can also skip taking the quiz and simply enter code SNAPSONUSKFRQUIZ instead 😉
In addition to the free points, taking this quiz also resets Kellogg's clock to losing your points.0
Epic Games has another really cool free video games available this week – Surviving Mars! This freebie for your computer is a cool strategy sim game that normally sells for $30!
The time has come to stake your claim on the Red Planet and build the first functioning human colonies on Mars! There will be challenges to overcome. Execute your strategy and improve your colony's chances of survival while unlocking the mysteries of this alien world.
In addition to the game, make sure you scroll down to get the free additional DLC options! There's Surviving Mars: Mysteries Resupply Pack and Surviving Mars: Space Race for Free, a $13 value!
Previously Offered Free Epic Games
While these are no longer available, here's a sampling of games Epic has offered for free over the past weeks.
- This War of Mine
- Minit – $10
- World of Goo – $19
- City of Brass – $15
- Kingdom New Lands – $15
- Limbo – $10
|Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer, One Size, Silver||$199.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Certified Refurbished Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Works with Alexa (existing doorbell wiring required)||$224.00 $149.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Brain Quest Workbook: Pre-K||$12.95 $4.99||Buy on Amazon|
|KidKraft 65956 Charlotte Dollhouse with Ez Kraft Assembly Dollhouses, Multicolor||$139.99 $79.99||Buy on Amazon|
|L.O.L. Surprise! Biggie Pet Hop Hop||$39.99 $26.07||Buy on Amazon|