Veteran Hiffers will remember last summer’s Capital One 360 Financial Independence offer where new members who opened a free savings or checking account online were rewarded with up to $176 in free money. Yep, you read that right. Over $150 in free cash. Pretty sweet, huh?
Well, I’m thrilled to say that the same offer is back! It’s only running through the end of July 3, so you have two days to get the ball rolling on this sweet deal. Here are the full details for those interested.
- This promotion applies to NEW Capital One 360 members only. If you participated in this last year, like many Hiffers did, you’re out of luck 🙁
- Open either one or both of the following accounts by July 3rd 11:59pm ET to trigger the promotion:
- 360 Checking: Earn $100 when you open a 360 Checking® account and make 5 Debit Card purchases or mobile deposits within 45 days and snag a cool $100 on day 50.
- 360 Savings: Grab $76 when you open a 360 Savings® account with a $500 minimum deposit after 30 days.
- It’s worth noting one last time: this only works for new members to Capital One 360.
So what you’re looking at is this: if you open a savings account and deposit $500, you’ll get a free $76 added to your account. If you open a checking account and make 5 debit card purchases or mobile deposits, you get a free $100 added to your account. That’s it!
I did call and ask about credit checks for opening these accounts. I was told there is no pull at all for a savings account, but there’s a soft pull for checking accounts and a hard pull if you end up applying for the overdraft line of credit (which doesn’t really apply for us here).
So what are you planning on spending your free money on? I already have an account, obviously, so I don’t qualify for this deal. However my brother missed out last year, so I just Skyped him and walked him through it. When asked what he planned to spend his cash on, he laughed and quickly answered “food and bills!” Smart man.